With its 415 inhabitants, De Waal is the smallest village on Texel and, like Den Burg, Oosterend and Den Hoorn, it was built on one of the boulder clay rises from the ice age.
On the north-western side of the village (Polderweg) it’s easy to see how high the village rises above the Waal and Burg polder landscape.
Before this polder was first drained in 1436, the sea flowed freely between the village and the higher land around Den Burg.
In 1909, the Dutch Nature Conservancy bought its first land in Waal and Burg. Since then the polder has grown to become a very important breeding ground and area for birds to overwinter. Waal and Burg is one of the many nature reserves on the island of Texel.
The inhabitants of various villages used dams to link together the higher areas. It’s assumed that the Bomendiek, the beautiful southern access road to De Waal, was one of the first dams. Later, this dam was raised further and reclaiming the Waal and Burg polder acquired a dike function
In the middle of the village of De Waal close to beautiful cycle paths, bird reserves and five minutes by car from the forest and beach is our 3-star hotel with its cosy atmosphere.
An original feature of De Waal it was an 11th-century tufa stone church. This was demolished in the 19th century and replaced by a brick church. During the rebellion by the Georgians at the end of World War II, the church was burnt to the ground. During its reconstruction, the original foundations were discovered based on boulders. The new church was completed in 1952. Until 1961, this church had no tower because the building moratorium had been imposed on church towers. The organ in the church was part of the Dutch contribution to the Brussels Expo in 1958.